Wednesday 30 September 2015

Dad's Army.

Heading out for our last full days ride, we chose the rural roads, and gave the Toll road a miss...

Got mixed up with some villagers returning from the market ... in the West, we get crucified for holding just a phone .... this lady is holding a child because the rear pillion seat is already full ! Its another world...

This gives you an idea of the scale of China ... this is km marker 2759.  Yes, this road is over 3000 km long ...

Market day, I guess ...

And then we round a corner and Abdul did warn us that the Police Check's are more stricter the closer you get to Laos.  So the 3 of us are pulled over, then we have to wait for everyone else to catch up.  The Swiss lads must have stopped for a picnic because we left at the same time, and in about 40km, they had got 45 mins behind !!  I could hear our Guide muttering ,,,, "Thank God its the last day with these muppets"

So we take some pics while we wait ...

When all present & correct, we are made to wait in a sort of holding pen, while someone higher up the chain of command is summoned to check permits, etc.

The heavens then opened, so I suppose at least that was good timing...

It took about an hour to clear this check, and then we rode in a bit of drizzle to our destination, Jinghong, and had been warned that it was a boring town with nothing to do.  So. I was figuring on an early night ...

But we did have to eat, and John had scouted out some open air restaurants by the river, so as it was the last night, I think Jeremy decided to let his hair down and join me in a few beers.  Mind you, at 2.5% abv strength, it was fairly safe ...

... and of course, Westerners are a magnet for drunk Asian men, no matter where you are.  So this pest annoyed us for 30 mins before he got the message to bugger off and leave us in peace...

We all headed back to the hotel, but on the way, I spied a few bars with some music, and a young crowd.... "OK Chaps, I'll see you in the morning, sleep well" .  I tried one bar, then moved to a second, which was getting livelier by the minute....

Can't remember what time I finally called it a night, but as it was my last real night in China, we only had 100 km the next day, and a noon check-out had been planned, ... it probably was late.  

On the way back, I took this grainy photo of what I can only describe as "Dads Army" ... the "officer" was briefing his motley collection of parking attendants/security guards of where to go enforce the law tonight ... Oh well, it made me smile, anyway ...


Boring night ... no way, Jinghong was one of the best places.